by Michael Wells
It’s Saturday morning and the “man cave” is in week-end mode. We just finished our 3rd bottle (18 oz. water) and our 3rd diaper change of the night and now it’s back to sleep. Last night was an excellent evening; we went for walks, picked some flowers, watched a couple of Elmo videos and were fast a sleep by 10:00pm. It was a “good” night. (lol)
Today is a blood holiday as no samples will be collected or tested. We will have to be content with the 0.6 white count level recorded for the past 2 days. It appears we now have the start of a game plan thanks to our friend and Brady’s champion Nurse Practitioner, Donna. Tuesday, Brady will have another bone marrow biopsy and the results of this test will base line his cancer and enable his medical to define a plan. Brady is causing his doctors a little consternation as I truly believe none of them thought he would be doing as well as he is. Yeah, Brady! As far as the Donor Lymphocyte Transfusion (DLT) goes, that decision rests with Dr. Bunin of CHOP but the earliest date is now somewhere around the week of July 22nd. However, even the need for a DLT procedure will be greatly influenced by Tuesday’s test results.
So, the end result of all this “stuff” is we will be in the hospital until at least Wednesday of next week and maybe the following Tuesday be transported to CHOP for the DLT (outpatient) procedure.
Until next time, hug someone you love, think good thoughts and please continue with your prayers as we are watching a miracle unfold before our eyes.
“8 Years Later—Still No Cure for Pediatric Cancer” is a series of posts revisiting the journal kept by Sherrie and Michael Wells during the cancer diagnosis and treatment of their son, Brady Michael. Hopefully these entires will provide an understanding of the journey families face when dealing with these horrific diseases and of the important work the Hugs for Brady Foundation does.